Our team is focusing on several different topics including:
Big Data Analytics
Intelligent Oil Fields
Our research team members are amongst the brightest students at Mississippi State University.
I hold a MSc in Chemical Engineering from Sahand University of Technology in Iran. I have published several peer-reviewed and conference papers in research areas including big data analytics, stochastic optimization, data assimilation, machine learning, and computational fluid dynamics. Using different variants of machine learning and data assimilation, I endeavor to discover the underlying pattern and/or knowledge behind the huge amount of data. The discovered pattern will be used then to forecast the future behavior of the data. As it is said by Malcom X., âThe future belongs to those who prepare for it todayâ.
Fariba Nofeli is currently pursuing her Ph.D. degree in the Applied Physics at Mississippi State University since Fall 2017. She received her masters degree in Solid State Physics in Iran. Her publications are about studying electron transport properties in semiconductor materials for bulk and nano sheet by Monte Carlo Simulation and DFT method. Her research interests include Quantum Computing, Artificial Neural Networks (ANN), Simulation of Petroleum Reservoirs. Her PhD research is on the fusion of Petroleum Engineering and Quantum computing.
I am currently pursuing my Bachelorâs in petroleum engineering with minors in Mathematics, Economics and Global Engineering Leadership. I am from Kolkata in India and came to the United States in 2015 to study in Mississippi State University. I am a DAAD Rise scholar (2017) and a member of Tau Beta Pi.My current project deals with Compressed Air Energy Storage (CAES) and how it can be integrated to meet the electricity demand in the south-eastern United States. I am also interested in geological CO2 sequestration under aquifers and hydrocarbon fields to mitigate CO2 emissions.
Tony (Tin) Le
I received my Bachelorâs of Science in Chemical Engineering from Christian Brothers University in Memphis, TN. My research interests are in developing and adapting both alternative and current energy sources and adapting for the everchanging needs of the future. Of particular interest is raising the efficiency of solar conversion and improvement of oil fracking.
Hello, my name is Sean Bartosik and I'm from Ocean Springs, Mississippi. My undergraduate background is in Petroleum Engineering, and I am currently a graduate student studying Chemical Engineering at Mississippi State University.
My name is Kathy Suazo.I am a senior majoring in Petroleum Engineering and minoring in Geology.I am an undergraduate researcher at Mississippi State University. Being part of the research team has positively impacted my career; it has been a great opportunity to learn, explore, and apply what I have learned in my classes so far.
My name is Noah Weathersby and I am from St Louis, Missouri. I am a current junior in the petroleum engineering curriculum. I have been a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers since my freshman year. I spent the past two summers working internships in the manufacturing and utilities industry.
Mary Ellen Deaton
Mary Ellen is a senior Petroleum Engineering undergraduate from Lena, Mississippi. She spent a semester researching Identification of Optimal CO2 EOR Sites as Part 1 of the "Road to Commercial CCUS in Mississippi" Project. Her oil and gas industry experience includes intern roles in operations and reservoir engineering. She has also served as MSU's Society of Petroleum Engineers' Chapter President.
While being an architecture student, I decided to study Civil Engineering to learn more about construction. A couple of years later, discovering myself doing research in Geotechnical Engineering is both exciting and inspiring. Every research project, I have worked on, widened my interest range proving that inspiration always comes with hard work
I am from Locust Fork, Alabama and I am a senior in petroleum engineering. Last summer I worked as a process engineer in Meridian Mississippi with Certainteed Ceilings. This summer I was a petroleum engineering intern with Oasis Petroleum in Houston, Texas. In my few moments of spare time I love playing with my dog, cooking (especially baking), and drinking sweet tea!
- Amirlatifi, A., Vahedifard, F., Degtyareva, M., Sullivan, B., Santra, R., Esposito, R. âReusing Abandoned Natural Gas Storage Sites for Compressed Air Energy Storageâ, Journal of Environmental Geotechniques, under review.
- Mortezaei, K., Amirlatifi, A., Ghazanfari, E., Vahedifard, F., âPotential CO2 Leakage from Geological Storage Sites: Advances and Challengesâ, Journal of Environmental Geotechniques, accepted for publication.
- Amirlatifi, A., Block, G., Abou-Sayed, O., Abou-Sayed, A.S., Zidane, A., âWell Performance in New Frontiers: Reducing Risk and Uncertainty through Large Scale Data Analyticsâ, OTC-28934-MS, Offshore Technology Conference held in Houston, Texas, 30 April â 3 May 2018.
- Amirlatifi, A., Mills, J.R., Abou-Sayed, O., Block, G., Abou-Sayed, A.S., Zidane, A., âRethinking Appraisal: Identification of Pre- and Post-Sanction Uncertainty Drivers in Deep and Ultra Deep Gulf of Mexico Fields using Data Mining and Data Analyticsâ, OTC-28945-MS, Offshore Technology Conference held in Houston, Texas, 30 April â 3 May 2018.
- Kamari, A., Pournik, M., Rostami, A., Amirlatifi, A., Mohammadi, A.H., âCharacterizing the CO2-Brine Interfacial Tension (IFT) Using Robust Modeling Approaches: A Comparative Studyâ, Journal of Molecular Liquids, Accepted for publication, doi: 10.1016/j.molliq.2017.09.010.
- Srivastava, P., Xingru Wu, X., Amirlatifi, A., âRecovery Factor Prediction for Deepwater Gulf of Mexico Oilfields by Integration of Dimensionless numbers with Data Mining Techniques,â SPE 181024-MS, SPE Intelligent Energy International Conference and Exhibition held in Aberdeen, United Kingdom, 6â8 September 2016.
- Amirlatifi, A., Eckert, A., Nygaard, R., Bai, B., 2013 âAn Explicit Partial Coupling Approach for Simulating CO2 Sequestrationâ, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control (Accepted for publication).
- Amirlatifi, A., Eckert, A., Nygaard, R., Bai, B., 2013 âFluid Flow Boundary Conditions: The Need for Pressure Transient Analysis for CO2 Sequestration Studiesâ, Int. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences (submitted, under peer review).
- Amirlatifi, A., Eckert, A., Nygaard, R., Bai, B., 2013 âGeomechanical Risk Assessment for CO2 Sequestration in a Candidate Storage Site in Missouriâ, Journal of Society of Petroleum Engineers (submitted, under peer review).
- Amirlatifi, A., Eckert, A., Nygaard, R., Bai, B., Liu, X., Paradeis, M. 2012. âRole of Geometrical Influences of CO2 Sequestration in Anticlinesâ, Paper ARMA 12-255. Proceedings of 46th US Rock Mechanics Geomechanics Symposium, Chicago, USA, 24-27 June 2012; also, presented in DOE Carbon Storage RD Project Review Meeting, August 21-23, 2012, Pittsburgh, PA (Peer Reviewed Conference Paper).
- Sharifi, M., Bakhtiari Ramezani, S., Amirlatifi, A. 2012. âPredictive Self-Healing of Web Services Using Health Scoreâ, Journal of Web Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 1, 2012, 051-063
- Amirlatifi, A., Eckert, A., Nygaard, R., Bai, B. 2011. âEstimation of Reservoir Uplift, Seismicity and Failure Likelihood during CO2 Injection through Coupled Reservoir Simulationâ, Proceedings of Canadian Unconventional Resources Conference, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, November 15â17, 2011.
- Amirlatifi, A., Eckert, A., Nygaard, R., Bai, B. 2011. âPrediction of Rock Failure during CO2 Sequestration by Coupled Modeling in Complex Geological Fieldsâ, Proceedings of AIPG 48th Annual Meeting and Conference - Bloomingdale, IL, September 10-13, 2011.
- Amirlatifi, A., Eckert, A., Nygaard, R., Bai, B. 2011. âPrediction of Caprock Fractures during CO2 sequestration by Coupled Modeling in Complex Geological Fieldsâ, Proceedings of tenth annual conference on carbon capture and sequestration, Pittsburgh, PA, May 2-5, 2011.
- Amirlatifi, A. 2011. âHow to Detect Caprock Fractures Caused by CO2 Injection in Coupled Modeling for Complex Geological Fieldsâ, Presented at 2011 SPE Mid-Continent Regional Student Paper Contest at University of Kansas, April 15-16, 2011.
- Amirlatifi, A., Jamialahmadi, M., Bakhtiari Ramezani, S. 2010. âSimulation of Convection Process during Miscible Gas Injection in Naturally Fractured Reservoirsâ, 14th International Conference on Oil, Gas and Petrochemical Industries, Tehran, 2010 (Peer Reviewed Conference Paper).
- Seifi, M., Assareh, M., Taheri Rudsari, S., Amirlatifi, A. 2010. âAn Efficient and Robust Saturation Pressure Calculation Algorithm for Petroleum Reservoir Fluids Using Neural Networkâ, 14th International Conference on Oil, Gas and Petrochemical Industries, Tehran, (Peer Reviewed Conference Paper).
- Abdollahzadeh, A., Amirlatifi, A., Kamali, M. R., Taheri Rudsari, S. S., 2008. âPRS: First Multi-Purpose Native Iranian Reservoir Simulatorâ, Journal of Exploration and Production, 12, 351-362.